The NBA’s so called “one and done” rule that requires players to be one year removed from high school to be eligible to enter the NBA Draft looks to be on its way out. In a press conference in Las Vegas, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told reporters that the league is ready to change the rule.READ MORE: Ravens-Steelers Preview: Pittsburgh 'Just Not That Dominant Team On Sunday,' Says CBS Sports' James Lofton
The conversation about changing the rule has intensified in the last year in the wake of the college basketball scandal involving FBI indictments of several assistant coaches and shoe company executives. The rule has been in place since 2006 following several drafts where many of the high school players selected struggled in the league. However, it has become apparent in recent years that many top recruits have no intention of staying in college for more than the required year.READ MORE: COVID Omicron Variant Detected In Vaccinated Minnesotan Who Traveled To NYC Anime Convention
NBA Players Association president Michelle Roberts seems to be on the same page as the commissioner as she told reporters yesterday that an announcement about the rule could be coming soon.MORE NEWS: Liana Wallace On 'Survivor' All-Black Alliance Falling Apart: 'Just Wanted Us To Make Top 8, Then We Can Have World War II''
The speculation has been that high school players will be allowed to enter the draft again beginning in 2021. This year, nine of the first 11 players selected in the first round of the draft were in college for only one year.