Enthusiasts and newbies alike will tell you that rock climbing is no cakewalk and is a great, fun way to stay active and healthy. Here is a list of the best places around Tampa to get your rock on.
Know Before You Go:
- Facilities usually offer climbing equipment for a rental fee (shoes, harness, etc.)
- Climbers are required to sign a waiver before gearing up and hitting the wall
- Wearing loose-fitting clothes makes climbing more comfortable
- Trained staff provide instruction and supervision to maintain a fun and safe environment
- Classes for every aspect of climbing are available and can be done in private in many cases
- Most facilities make a day pass available if you’re not interested in membership
5402 Suite-E Pioneer Park Blvd
Tampa, Florida 33634
Vertical Ventures is perhaps the biggest indoor rock climbing gym in Tampa with much to offer men, women and families looking to break out of the conventional active routine. Fees range from $7 – $35, and monthly memberships start at $135 for three months. Check their website for weekly specials, discounts and deals.
YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg
Jim & Heather Gills YMCA
3200 1st Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33712
Just a short 25-minute drive from Tampa, the Rock Wall at the Jim & Heather Gills YMCA is a great option if you’re looking into get in a quick climb with minimal distractions. Although open to members and guests 5-years-old and above, bigger “kids” have the wall all to themselves on Friday’s from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Access is free for members and $5 for non-members.
Other YMCA locations with climbing walls: Bob Sierra Family YMCA, Interbay-Glover Family YMCA, New Tampa Family YMCA, Northwest Hillsborough YMC, and others (see website for specific locations and times: http://www.tampaymca.org/index.php)