CBS Tampa Health News
- China Carfentanil Ban a 'Game-Changer' for Opioid Epidemic So deadly it's considered a terrorist threat, carfentanil has been legal in China— until now. Beijing is banning carfentanil and three similar drugs as of March 1, China's Ministry of Public Security said Thursday, closing a major regulatory loophole...
- Aetna, Humana Call Off $34 Billion Deal Aetna and Humana called off a $34 billion proposal to combine the two major health insurers after a federal judge, citing antitrust concerns, shot down the deal.
- Exercise May Not Be Completely Linked To Weight Loss, Study Finds A study conducted at Loyola University found that weight loss isn't directly tied to exercise.
- UnitedHealth Buying Surgical Care for $2.3 Billion UnitedHealth Group is buying surgical center operator Surgical Care Affiliates for about $2.3 billion in a cash-and-stock deal that will add to its outpatient holdings.
- Diet Res-Illusions: Tips From the Pros On How to Lose Weight We make 'em, we break 'em. New Year's diet resolutions fall like needles on Christmas trees as January goes on. Genes can work against us. Metabolism, too. But a food behavior researcher has tested a bunch of little ways to tip the scale toward...
- Mumps Outbreak Strikes Marshallese Population in Arkansas Health officials say an outbreak of mumps has particularly hit a community of Marshall Islanders in northwest Arkansas.
- Study Finds And Quantifies Pokemon GO's Positive Fitness Benefits A recent study has quantified Pokemon GO's positive impact in how many extra steps it's caused American's to take.
- Hand, Foot, & Mouth Disease is on the Rise Hand, foot, and mouth disease, or HFMD, is a contagious illness that is caused by different viruses.
- Study Finds Men More At Risk Of Overeating During Holidays A study explains the mental side of why men try to out-eat friends and loved ones, even if it's subconscious.
- Knox Medical Authorized to Distribute Medical Pot in Florida Knox Medical is the fourth organization to receive authorization to distribute low-THC medical marijuana in the state of Florida.
- A Pair of Sydney Teenagers Recreate Martin Shkreli's Drug for $2 Students at Sydney Grammar School, Australia have found a cheap way to create the active ingredient of anti-parasitic and immune system-supporting drug Daraprim.
- Failed Study, Dimmed Hopes in Hunt for Alzheimer's Treatment A treatment for Alzheimer's failed to slow mental decline in a widely anticipated study, ending hope that researchers at Eli Lilly had finally found a drug that does more to help those suffering from the fatal, mind-robbing disease.
- What No One Tells You About Medicare Coverage -- Phyllis (Vol. 3) Get What's Yours For Medicare Author Phillip Moeller warns of common but costly Medicare mistakes in the final of this three-part series.
- Male Birth Control Study Halted Because of Side Effects Male birth control just got one step closer to becoming a reality.
- Health Law Consumers Face Least Choice in Program's History Americans in the health insurance markets created by President Barack Obama's law will have less choice next year than any time since the...