21 Things That Have Happened Since The Last Back-to-Back Home Run Derby Champion
After Yoenis Cespedes won Monday night Home Run Derby for the second consecutive year, he became the first back-to-back champion in 15 years. Ken Griffey Jr. did it in 1998 and 1999 and now Cespedes joins that club after beating Todd Frazier, the Cincinnati Reds third baseman, 9-1 in the final.
Cespedes even had to have a swing off against fellow teammate Josh Donaldson to advance to the next round and stay in the contest. With 15 years between back-to-back champions, lots of things have happened in the sporting world during that time. With that being said, here is a look at 21 things that have happened since we last had a back-to-back Home Run Derby champion.
21. Swimmer Michael Phelps has won 22 Olympic Medals.
20. Derek Jeter has played in 11 All-Star Games.
19. Someone named LeBron James was drafted and plays in the NBA.
The King also is a 4-time NBA MVP and 2-time NBA Champion.
18. Adrian “All Day” Peterson was drafted and plays for the Minnesota Vikings in the NFL.
17. The Los Angeles Lakers have won 5 NBA Championships.
16. Twitter was born. #hashtag
15. Peyton Manning has won 5 NFL MVP trophies.
14. The Red Sox have been the World Series Champion 3 times. (2004, 2007, 2013)
13. Sidney Crosby was drafted, plays in the NHL and is a 2-time NHL MVP.
12. Michael Jordan retired then un-retired … AGAIN!
11. A little thing called Facebook was invented.
10. The New England Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls.
9. The New York Giants have won 2 Super Bowls, beating the Patriots both times.
8. The Seattle SuperSonics are no more.
7. The Oklahoma City Thunder was born.
6. 3 new NHL teams were created (Minnesota Wild, Winnepeg Jets, Columbus Blue Jackets).
5. The Houston Texans became a franchise in the NFL.
4. There is a professional sports team nicknamed the Pelicans. #onlyinNOLA
3. Derek Jeter announced his retirement. #RE2PECT
2. Mariano Rivera is no longer the New York Yankees’ closer.
1. Longtime Packer Brett Favre played for the … Minnesota Vikings.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Bobby Bowden: Jameis Winston ‘An Embarrassment’ To Florida State
- Jameis Winston Files Counterclaim, Denies He Raped Woman
- Don Shula Says His Dolphins ‘Didn’t Deflate Any Balls’
- Florida Hires Louisiana Tech’s White To Replace Donovan