In what is perhaps the most anticipated game for the USA thus far in the 2014 World Cup, Belgium is the only thing standing in the way of a round of 8 spot and Jurgen Klinsmann’s squad. Tomorrow’s winner will play the winner of the Argentina-Switzerland match on July 5th and soccer fever is alive and running rampant throughout the U.S. now more than ever. Some places are even calling for the boycotting of Belgian Waffles ahead of tomorrow’s match. With a spot in the round of 8 on the line, here are 5 things you need to know before the good old U S of A takes the pitch tomorrow.
5. Jozy Can Play
Guess who’s back, back again? Jozy’s back, we’re gonna win. Altidore is available to play tomorrow and should take some of the pressure of Clint Dempsey if he can stay healthy.
4. This is Belgium’s First World Cup Appearance Since 2002
The Belgians have not played in a World Cup since 2002 after getting ousted by France 1-2 in South Korea/Japan. The Belgians finished 1st in their group and may prove to be quite the challenge for the U.S if they want to advance and play on Saturday.
3. Klinsmann Told Players To Make Arrangements For World Cup Final
A complete 180 from what he said before, Klinsmann reportedly told players to change flights until after the World Cup Final. Before going to Brazil, Klinsmann told the media that the U.S. didn’t have a shot at winning the title. Now, after 3 games until their belt, Klinsmann as changed his tune which is making America more confident in the red, white and blue. You can do it boys!
2. Belgium is Ranked 11th, U.S Ranked 13th
Belgium is ranked 11th according to the FIFA world rankings while the U.S. is ranked 13th. The U.S. has already faced the 4th ranked, 2nd ranked and 37th ranked team in the “Group of Death” while Belgium has already played the 19th ranked, 22nd ranked and 37th ranked team in Group H play. #IBelieveThatWeWillWin
1. The U.S. and Belgium Have Played Before
The U.S. and Belgium played in the first ever World Cup in 1930 and the U.S. won by a score of 3-0. Last year, the U.S. wasn’t so lucky and lost in a friendly 2-4 on May 29th. #wewintheonesthatcount
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- 2017 Conference USA Football Preview: West Division
- If You Need Saves In Fantasy Baseball, Look For High Strikeout Rates
- AP Sources: Free Agent Derrick Rose Meeting with Cavaliers
- 2017 Conference USA Football Preview: East Division
- Dolly Parton on Christians condemning homosexuals: 'The sin of judging is just as bad as any other sin'
Get our daily email with news, sports and more - CLICK HERE