The Commish’s Bucs Board 2.0 (1st Round)
Buccaneers CentralShop for Bucs Gear
Buy Bucs Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
For this “Bucs Board,” I wanted to approach it a little differently.
With the 7th pick in the 1st round, I’m going to give 10 actions I would like taken by the Bucs in order.
If there is a trade-down that occurs, I will also provide five additional players I’d like the Bucs to target if they trade down into the teens of this draft.
Here is my Top 10 moves for the Bucs 7th overall pick:
1. Jadeveon Clowney – DE – South Carolina - Clowney is the most gifted talent in this draft. He will likely be taken within the top 3 picks.
2. Sammy Watkins – WR – Clemson - Dynamic playmaker who plays like a running back when the ball is in his hands.
3. Johnny Manziel – QB – Texas A&M - Every week certain people come up with different excuses to dislike Manziel. This week it’s the “circus” he brings. If celebrity status and recognition for him and your franchise, or having LeBron James and other celebrities on your sideline is considered bad, then maybe your franchise isn’t ready for the big time.
4. Mike Evans – WR – Texas A&M - Massive receiver with very good speed and excellent hands. He might not be “speed in space” per se, but he will run over a cornerback in space.
5. Trade Down - I hate to break it to Bucs fans, but there is a good shot that each of the top 4 players here could be selected before the Bucs are on the clock.
6. Blake Bortles – QB – UCF - Bortles has all of the physical tools of a franchise quarterback, but will need time to develop.
7. Greg Robinson – OT/OG – Auburn -The massive Robinson would play guard if selected by the Bucs.
8. Teddy Bridgewater – QB – Louisville - Accurate passer with athleticism. Should fit in with Jeff Tedford’s offense.
9. Derek Carr – QB – Fresno St. - Fiery, charismatic leader who is accurate and athletic. Yes, a lot of his passes were short in college, but that might be the Bucs offense as well. His brother, David, had tremendous success when he played under Tedford at Fresno St.
10. Khalil Mack – DE/OLB – Buffalo - I am a huge fan of Mack, but he’d be a last resort for me at 7th overall if I were the Bucs.
Trade Down Targets:
1. Teddy Bridgewater – QB – Lousiville - Bridgewater could slip because he just isn’t flashy. Bridgewater’s accuracy and athleticism could make him a threat in Tedford’s offense.
2. Derek Carr – QB – Fresno St. - One of these QBs will fall. If it ends up being Carr and the Bucs trade back, it could be the ideal scenario for everyone.
3. Brandin Cooks – WR – Oregon St. - I view Cooks as a bigger and more physical Tavon Austin. Speed in space.
4. Zack Martin – OT/OG – Notre Dame - Martin can play tackle, but has the potential to be an All-Pro guard.
5. Xavier Su’a-Filo – OG – UCLA - Top pure guard in this draft. Pro Bowl potential.
2nd Round Bucs Board will be posted Tuesday night.
Follow Justin Pawlowski on twitter @Commishonline for updates on the NFL Draft and the Bucs.