MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) — Central Florida health officials have issued warnings about a flesh-eating bacterium that led to the death of a Flagler County man last month.
Brevard County health officials issued a warning Friday about the Vibrio vulnificus bacterium that can be found in brackish seawater in the lagoons along coastal Florida.
They are warning against swimming or fishing in coastal lagoons for people who have open wounds or cuts since that can lead to an infection that eats away at the skin.
They also say people with weakened immune systems are at risk for an infection if they eat raw shellfish contaminated with the bacteria.
They recommend not eating raw shellfish, especially raw oysters.
They also suggest that people wear gloves when handling raw shellfish.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)