Reporting Justin Pawlowski
As the amount of passing in the NFL increases, so do the number of quality receivers.
This year, we see a very deep class of wide receivers to choose from.
Don’t forget to join The Commish in Fantasy Football this year in our 98.7 The Fan Fantasy Football Challenge! You could win a $3,000 Ball watch from Old Northeast Jewelers and get to see two games during the 2014 season from a suite in Raymond James Stadium!!! The best part is that it is free to play!!!
In our Fantasy Football league, WRs will score 6 points for touchdowns and 1 point for every 10 yards receiving.
Here’s how Fan Interference ranks the Wide Receiver for this season.
The Commish Justin Pawlowski’s Rankings:
1. Calvin Johnson – DET – No explanation needed.
2. AJ Green – CIN – Green was tied for 2nd in fantasy points for WRs last year in most standard leagues. He should put up similar numbers again and is not a threat to do anything off the field.
3. Dez Bryant – DAL – Potentially, Bryant could score more fantasy points than AJ Green. Also potentially, Bryant could miss a game due to injury or off-the-field issue.
4. Julio Jones – ATL – This could be the year Jones becomes a true elite receiver after hiding in Roddy White’s shadow. The Falcons do have a lot of weapons, but Jones should be the primary target most of the time.
5. Brandon Marshall – CHI – Marshall was fantastic last year, and if Trestman is smart, he’ll force Marshall to be great again. Marshall is by far the best weapon Jay Cutler has.
6. Demaryius Thomas – DEN – Thomas has gotten better and better with every year he has been in the NFL, which was expected when he was drafted as a raw receiver. In year two with Peyton Manning, he could become a star.
7. Larry Fitzgerald – ARI – Fitzgerald stayed a viable fantasy WR with crappy QBs. He now has an upgrade in Carson Palmer and should put up better numbers.
8. Vincent Jackson – TB – Jackson is not only Josh Freeman’s number one target, he’s the Bucs best deep threat.
9. Randall Cobb – GB – An injury in training camp has me a little concerned, but Cobb could become a dominant fantasy option this season.
10. Andre Johnson – HOU – For Andre Johnson to be 10th, tells you how deep WR is this year.
11. Victor Cruz – NYG – He’s got his contract, but that won’t stop Cruz from some salsa! That word is fun to say!
12. Roddy White – ATL – The Falcons offense should put up mega-points.
13. Dwayne Bowe – KC – A new offense and a new QB to get him the ball. The talent is with Bowe, but will the fantasy production be there?
14. Marques Colston – NO – Sean Payton is back, which means the Saints offense could be back.
15. Wes Welker – DEN – Remember how good Brandon Stokley was with Peyton Manning? Welker is way better than that!
16. Danny Amendola – NE – Yes, injuries are a concern, but he enters this season as Tom Brady’s number one target.
17. Hakeem Nicks – NYG – Dealt with injuries most of last season, but still has a ton of talent.
18. Pierre Garcon – WAS – RG3 will need his WRs more this year than last year.
19. TY Hilton – IND – The younger and more explosive WR for the Colts has a breakout season with Andrew Luck.
20. Torrey Smith – BAL – Smith has had a couple years to develop. With Boldin gone, Smith becomes Flacco’s main target.
21. Eric Decker – DEN – Everyone produces in the Broncos offense this year.
22. James Jones – GB – Jones was a touchdown machine last year, but has a reputation for dropping passes.
23. Mike Williams – TB – Williams has learned a lot since Vincent Jackson got to Tampa. Expect Williams to have another solid year.
24. Antonio Brown – PIT – Brown is the Steelers number one WR and should put up solid numbers.
25. Jordy Nelson – GB – Nelson’s recent knee surgery that is keeping him out through the preseason has me a bit concerned.
Jim Lighthall’s WR Rankings:
1. DET Calvin Johnson – 2,000 yards might be a stretch in ’13 but double-digit touchdowns wouldn’t be
2. CIN A.J. Green – the next great receiver in the NFL
3. DAL Dez Bryant – Tony Romo doesn’t have a lot to work with which means he’ll get a ton of yards
4. ATL Julio Jones – if Atlanta’s offense goes wild, it will starts with Jones
5. CHI Brandon Marshall – as long as he’s healthy he’ll put up the numbers
6. DEN Demaryius Thomas – even with the addition of Wes Welker, Thomas will be Manning’s No. 1 option
7. ARI Larry Fitzgerald – still producing despite his age and the lack of a decent quarterback
8. TB Vincent Jackson – I don’t care what Keyshawn Johnson says … this guy is a stud
9. NYG Victor Cruz – the better half of the Giants dynamic 1-2 receiver punch
10. HOU Andre Johnson – used to be a fantasy monster, but just six touchdowns in the last two years knocks him down the list
11. GB Randall Cobb – gets a bump up with the loss of Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson’s tender knee
12. DEN Wes Welker – there’s plenty of passes to go around in Denver
13. NO Marques Colston – if Brees approaches 5,000 yards again you’ll be glad you have this guy on your roster
14. NE Danny Amendola – if he put up decent numbers with Sam Bradford throwing the ball, imagine what he’ll do with Tom Brady?
15. ATL Roddy White – you want to take Julio Jones away? Fine. This guy will kill you too
16. GB James Jones – a touchdown machine
17. IND Reggie Wayne – getting older but still Andrew Luck’s best option
18. PIT Antonio Brown – with Mike Wallace gone, he becomes Big Ben’s top target in Pittsburgh
19. WSH Pierre Garcon – Awesome when healthy. But not always healthy. Ditto for his quarterback
20. BAL Torey Smith – will be the man that Joe Flacco looks for first
21. KC Dwayne Bowe – he finally gets a quarterback that doesn’t suck
22. PHI DeSean Jackson – becomes a home run hitter in Chip Kelly’s offense
23. IND T.Y. Hilton – the first FIU player to ever appear on any fantasy list!
24. SEA Sidney Rice – the injury to Percy Harvin just made him even more valuable
25. JAC Cecil Shorts – he might catch all of Blaine Gabbert’s 1,400 yards passing this season?!
Pants’ WR Rankings:
1). Calvin Johnson –The consensus Number 1 WR in ALL Fantasy Drafts
2). Dez Bryant –Lived up to his potential last year. He is now Romo’s guy and should get you 1400 yards and double-digit TD’s
3). Brandon Marshall –He might be the only person that loves Jay Cutler more than Justin. He put up career numbers with his old Broncos mate last year.
4) Demaryius Thomas –Exploded onto the scene last year when he finally had a QB. There will be no slowing down.
5). Randall Cobb –Greg Jennings who??? Lighthall would get 1200 yards and 10 TD’s in Aaron Rodger’s offense.
6). Larry Fitzgerald –Fitz will finally have a decent QB for the first time since Kurt Warner left. He’s back…
7). A.J. Green –Will get more targets than anybody not named Calvin Johnson.
8). Julio Jones –Would be ranked higher if The Dirty Birds didn’t have so many weapons.
9).Vincent Jackson –V-Jax had a great first season with the Bucs. Would like to see his receptions go up from 72 this year. I think they will.
10). Marcus Colston –Sean Payton is back, which means Drew Brees is back, which means Marcus Colston is back.
11). Andre Johnson –He’s still The Dude in Houston. 1500+ yards in his last 3 16-game seasons.
12). Victor Cruz –Eli’s favorite target should be salsa-ing plenty this season.
13). Reggie Wayne –Peyton’s old favorite is having a renaissance under Andrew Luck.
14). Roddy White –The 32-year olds still got it and he’s still got Matty Ice throwing it to him.
15). Pierre Garcon –RGII’s favorite target was one of the best WR’s in the league when healthy last year.
16). James Jones – See Randall Cobb.
17). Jordy Nelson –See James Jones.
18). Wes Welker –Can still be Top 5 in PPR leagues.
19). Hakeem Nicks –Had an injury-plagued 2012. Can be a Top-5 WR when healthy. Could be a good value-pick.
20). Eric Decker –This offense reminds me a lot of the mid 2000’s Colts offense that produced 3 Fantasy studs at WR.
21). Dwayne Bowe –Ultra-talented. How long will it take to get on the same page with Alex Smith?
22). Antonio Brown –He’s now Pittsburgh’s Number 1 guy. How will he respond?
23). T.Y. Hilton –Kid’s legit. Could be this year’s breakout star at WR…
24). Mike Wallace –Probably the fastest guy on this list. How will he do in a new offense???
25). Danny Amendola –Could be Tom Brady’s favorite WR… or he could spend the season in the cold-tub. Draft at your own risk.