LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. — former NASCAR driver Richard “Dick” Trickle, died Thursday afternoon from what reports are saying was an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Boger City, NC.
According to WSOCTV.com – Lincoln County officials received a 911 call, saying that “there would be a dead body and it would be his” at the cemetery. The call was made by Trickle himself.
First responders arriving at the scene found a body lying near what was known to be Trickle’s truck.
Although he never won a points-paying race in 24 years of competition in NASCAR’s senior circuit, the Winston Cup (now known as the Sprint Cup), he was an accomplished driver:
- 1 NASCAR Winston Open (exhibition race, 1990)
- 2 NASCAR Busch Series wins
- 32 American Speed Association wins
- 68 ARTGO Challenge Series wins
- 2 NASCAR Southwest Tour wins
- 2 USAC wins