Girl Electrocuted In Mini-Golf Pond
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Investigators are trying to find out why an 11-year-old New York girl died while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort’s miniature golf course near Orlando.
Orange County Sheriff’s deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.
The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.
Detectives told the Orlando Sentinel they’re looking into a number of possible causes, including electrocution.
Authorities say the Latham, N.Y., girl turned 11 on Friday. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and a brother. He was also checked out at the hospital, but apparently wasn’t injured.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)