Deadly Cobra Bites Snake Handler During Live Show
Get Breaking News First
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (CBS Tampa/AP) — A professional snake handler is recovering after being bitten by a cobra during a live show.
The Miami Herald reports that Giselle Hosein was bitten Saturday afternoon at a Miccosukee Indian Tribe facility by an Indian cobra considered to be among the deadliest snakes in the world.
“It’s a job hazard,” John Jones, Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino wildlife manager, told the Herald. “None of us wants to get bit, and we don’t want the public to see us get bit.”
Chief Ray Barreto of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Special Operations Division says the woman was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital in respiratory stress.
She was given five vials of anti-venoms, and her symptoms decreased within 15 minutes.
“She was very calm,” Lt. Scott Mullin told the Herald. “In a situation like that, hysteria is not your friend.”
Two members of the department’s Venom Response Team and hospital staff monitored the handler until Sunday morning. Barreto said she is recovering and not expected to suffer any long-term effects.
“She’s completely coherent now,” Jones told the Herald. “We are educators. We’re here to educate the public about the importance of wildlife and conservation. But you’re playing with fire. Eventually, you get bitten. It’s not a matter of ‘if’ but ‘when.’”
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)