Rays’ Former No. 1 pick Beckham Gets 50-game Drug Ban

NEW YORK (AP) — Tampa Bay prospect Tim Beckham, the overall No. 1 pick in the 2008 draft, has been suspended 50 games after a second violation of the minor league drug program.

The commissioner’s office announced the penalty Tuesday.

The 22-year-old Beckham was hitting .204 in 13 games for Triple-A Durham. The shortstop had been on the disabled list because of a sprained left wrist.

Beckham played in the All-Star Futures Game last July after a slow start in his pro career.

In a statement released by the Rays, Beckham says he’s sorry for his actions and takes “full responsibility” for his “poor judgment.”

Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman says Beckham “must rededicate himself.”

There have been 37 suspensions this year under the minor league drug program.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Tampa

Best Holiday Volunteer Opportunities for the Family in Tampa BayGet the family together to make a difference in the Tampa Bay community this holiday season.
CBS Tampa’s Social Media LinksFollow us!

Listen Live