ORLANDO, Fla. (CBS Tampa/AP) — The website that George Zimmerman set up to help raise money for his legal defense in Trayvon Martin’s shooting has been disabled, a spokesman for his lawyer said Wednesday.
The website, previously found at the URL http://www.therealgeorgezimmerman, was no longer functioning as of Tuesday, said James Woods, a spokesman for Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of the 17-year-old Martin in February. He has pleaded not guilty and is claiming self-defense.
“It was taken down at Mark’s request and he will not have any future online presence unless authorized in advance by Mark,” Woods said in an email.
O’Mara has hinted that he will ask Zimmerman to be declared indigent, which would allow taxpayers to pay for his legal bills. Any income from the website would make that process more difficult.
The website was created almost two weeks ago by Zimmerman’s family to thank his supporters and to receive donations from anyone who wanted to help with his legal defense.
The 44-day delay in Zimmerman’s arrest spurred protests nationwide and inspired a national debate about racial profiling, equal justice under the law and Florida’s self-defense law.
Zimmerman went into hiding earlier this week after he was released from jail on a $150,000 bond.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)