Woman Rescues Driver Who Flipped Her Off

CRYSTAL RIVER, Fla. (CBS Tampa) — Local resident Kristyn Dominy risked her life to save that of another driver on W. Ozello Trail — even though the other driver had made a rude gesture at her just moments before.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, Dominy, 22, was driving home on the windy path with her daughter when a Jeep sped past her, its driver behaving erratically and making crude hand motions at her.

“She did flip me off whenever she passed me,” Dominy told the paper about the events preceding the crash, which took place Monday night.

Not long after, Dominy spotted the car on fire, stuck in some trees just off the road.

“My first thought when I came around the corner and saw that her vehicle was on fire, I was thinking karma,” Dominy told the Tampa Bay Times. “But the same time, I could never — even though she flipped me off down the road — I could never just sit there and watch that happen.”

When she got closer, she allegedly saw the other driver on fire herself, struggling to save her own daughter from the crash.

Both mother and child were taken to nearby Tampa General Hospital. The woman was reportedly in good health, but her daughter was still in serious condition as of Wednesday.

Dominy knows she did the right thing.

“The vehicle was up in flames and just the look on the mom and daughter’s face,” Dominy told the paper. “I could never just drive by and not think about that.”

Comments

1. John says:

What would be fun to know is if the woman that crashed will offer an apology for being rude and thanking the other lady for the help. Because of the attitude she had before the crash, I bet she will try and blame the lady that saved her for the crash.

1. beazr says:

Its called the good samaritan. Or as II think of it common sense. Few people left in this world like that. Most would drive by holding onto their karma, because the driver flipped them off.

1. stephanie says:

I don’t agree; I believe most people would try to rescue a mother and child from a burning car. Petty things like rude hand gestures would not matter in a life or death situation

2. adam says:

I completely agree with your comment about most people driving right on by. I personally helped both cars in a high speed crash, not having any medical training, but i just couldnt drive past. I’m not saying I saved their lives, but I did what I was able to do before the paramedics arrived. Common sense with victims, maybe they just need someone to console them, or as this case pull them out of a burning car. As i was helping i was trying to get other people to help me and at least call 911…yet they all just drove by really slow looking at the accident. not ONE person stopped. State trooper who took my report of the accident shook my hand and said “thank you, you don’t realize how many people just drive right by thinking someone else will help.” I’d say a vast majority of people will SAY that they would help, but when the situation comes about, they just drive right on by. The girl who stopped did the right thing, and others should learn how to at least make sure people are ok and/or call 911. Don’t just drive on by and think, oh, someone else will do it.

3. Paul says:

Good samaritan these days means a liberal lawsuit waiting to happen. If you’re nice to anyone, liberals will file a lawsuit someway, somehow.

4. Dave says:

beazr, adam, and paul: nonsense..

5. buzz4t says:

total nonsense. Your actually saying that most people would let the driver and her little girl burn to death because the driver flipped them off. You’ve got to be kidding.

6. jschmidt says:

I think most states have a good samaratin law that would prevent prosecution or a lawsuit.But there could be limits to the protection. I hope people wouldn’t just driive by and let someone else do it but of course my faith in humankind could be misplaced.

7. sonofissachar says:

In that case, karma kills. That’s soooooo hopeful, isn’t it?

8. Dan says:

Laypersons shouldn’t render medical aide to nonfamily members, the GSL usually only protects you when acting within “the scope of your training.” A non-CPR certified layperson could be sued in many jurisdictions if they accidentally broke a rib when performing CPR in an emergency, which isn’t hard to do.

9. Lisa Lisa says:

I’m with stephanie. We talk a big lot [ego] but in the end, most will do the right thing [soul]. We cannot help but to be compassionate, it IS who we are.

10. agwisreal says:

Most of us would NOT drive by. Good grief. Even if you hunger for karmic revenge, isn’t the crash itself good enough for ya?

Most of us would step up and do the right thing.

11. Martin says:

@Paul (and others)

Most if not all states have the “Good Samaritan” laws that protects persons from lawsuits when trying to help someone else in an accident. Without this; trained first aid persons would NOT help anyone.

My advice to anyone; stop and help! Be the better person.

12. DDPGH says:

Paul, risking a lawsuit would be worth it. Don’t talk like a wimp.

13. TheBirdIsAWord says:

Sure she did. Much of the news is made up after the coup and cover up. Unelected officials took over Washington and the media. They think you can’t handle the truth. Fact of the matter is we have no democracy, president, and freedom of press is an illusion.

Our next election is shaping up to be as big of a sham as the last. Do you know why Sarah Palin’s bus tour was really canceled? Do you know why she stayed 30 miles away from the second debate and chose the death of Steve Jobs to announce that she’s not running? Know what leaked out? Sarah Palin and Cain aren’t in the race for the same reason, the truth leaked out. Search PalinsDirtyLittleSecret for the biggest cover up in history

14. Kat says:

You are both correct and incorrect. People would definitely NOT stop if there are alot of people or cars around but the reason they would not stop is not because of being flipped off.

They would not stop because of the Bystander Effect. All first responders are taught about it in CPR/First Aide training.

What is the Bystander Effect?

The term bystander effect refers to the phenomenon in which the greater the number of people present, the less likely people are to help a person in distress. When an emergency situation occurs, observers are more likely to take action if there are few or no other witnesses.

In a series of classic studies, researchers Bibb Latane and John Darley (1) found that the amount of time it takes the participant to take action and seek help varies depending on how many other observers are in the room. In one experiment, subjects were placed in one of three treatment conditions: alone in a room, with two other participants or with two confederates who pretended to be normal participants.

As the participants sat filling out questionnaires, smoke began to fill the room. When participants were alone, 75% reported the smoke to the experimenters. In contrast, just 38% of participants in a room with two other people reported the smoke. In the final group, the two confederates in the experiment noted the smoke and then ignored it, which resulted in only 10% of the participants reporting the smoke.
        -http://psychology.about.com/od/socialpsychology/a/bystandereffect.htm

2. Bobby says:

She has no class so you may be right

1. Bobby says:

as to if the woman will thank her

2. OBAMA FLIPPED THE USA OFF AND LAUGHS ABOUT IT says:

3. Miguel says:

She’ll probably sue her for millions.

1. Tim Desland says:

Exactly my thought. People like that always find someone else to blame their problems on.

2. Timothy Turnstone says:

yup, to sue would be to flip off the decent citizen again, If the decent citizen would have just kept driving and maybe flipped off the derelict citizen, she could be sued for that to. “…with rights come responsibilities” A quote NOT from president Obama.

3. HARVARD TRAINED DETECTIVE BILL O'REILLY says:

4. Giselle says:

Wonder why the woman flipped her off in the first place?

1. hrk3rd says:

My guess would be that the samaritan was not going fast enough for the other driver. It is good to know that some people can still show love to another.

2. Road Runner says:

Probably for not driving fast enought to run off the road and into some trees!

3. Mike O'Brien says:

Driving recklessly and like an idiot with a child in her Jeep hope she faces child endangerment charges. What if she had run into another car instead of a tree and killed an innocent mother and her child? Glad they’re OK but ticks me off she was behaving like such a fool on the road. Had some jerk cut me off on purpose just yesterday had to slam on my brakes and all the stuff I was hauling in my van flew all over the place. There definitely would have been a wreck involving numerous vehicles if I hadn’t who knows how bad the injuries would’ve been. People that drive like this should receive some sort of punishment or some way to report their erratic behavior on the road. Maybe text their license plate to a special number and if they get enough complaints from enough different drivers something can be done about it.

4. Huuf Arted says:

Is there EVER a good reason to “flip someone off”?

5. Legaleze says:

Don’t be surprised if she doesn’t sue the good samaritan for “not getting there fast enough” or some other rubbish.

1. Mary in Texas says:

There is a “Good Samaritan” law in place to protect those who render aid in situations such as this. Personally, I’d help someone (and have) in any situation and the last thing I’d be thinking, much less, worried about would be whether or not the injured person would sue me. I’d like to assume most people feel the same way.

6. Kirk Conole says:

Am I missing something? The woman who was flipped off has to tell us that she’s not the kind of person to abandon a person in mortal peril and we’re supposed to think that such a statement is even worth mentioning? The driver was a jerk but let’s not pretend that the helping of a jerk facing a death in flames is worth special mention. For normal people coming to the aid of a jerk about to die is just a routine play – or should be.

Will the jerk be humble enough to apologize and show gratitude? Maybe not, but we save the lives of jerks and their children without regard to the thanks we will get, right?

1. Lindsay says:

I’ll bet the Good Samaritan’s quotes merely reflect what questions she was asked, not that she herself was taking credit for being big enough to save someone who’d just flipped her off. ie, She may have been asked to “Tell us what went through your mind from the moment you first saw the other car” or “This woman was a complete stranger to you, right? Or did you know her before?”. And then the prelude to the rescue, including the driving erratically and flipping off, could come out. Then some impressed reporter in the media pack might excitedly say, “So even though she FLIPPED YOU OFF moments before, you still found it in your heart to put that behind you and RISK YOUR LIFE to save her and her child from their burning car?!”. And so that’s how you (probably) got such answers from the Good Samaritan. Agree though, the lack of the preceding questions does risk creating a disconcerting impression.

This is the kind of thing that happens with politicians all the time. They’re just answering a question and, in the context of the question, their response might be perfectly appropriate and reasonable but maybe sound really off in isolation.

2. J Meoff says:

I would have let that monkey and her monkey baby burn. N*ggers never learn.

3. Redhandpaddy says:

If obama were on fire I would not so much as urinate on him

4. Laura says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Seems to be an awful lot of patting herself on the back. I just don’t see how this is a story.

5. Ana Parrish says:

We save the lives of jerks every day, Kirk: the government pays for it. I am a medical professional and the law mandates me to save the life of every drug seeking, rude, crass and mindless jerk, in the name of…..? … ‘he/she is a human being’. But we don’t have to stop to save the life of a jerk. Jerk or not, saving a life in dire situations is almost an obligation we have to one another, it’s not a virtue. We don’t know if that woman flipped anybody off, but we do know from police reports that the one who was flipped off wound up being a ‘better person’.
        The point is: let’s not make a virtue out of a necessity, unless we all are totally Godless, selfish psychopaths who would just drive by a burning live human being and do NOTHING. The ‘jerk’ will probably not even apologize or say thank you. Someone had a good point: she might have a hard core liberal lawyer to say the rescuer caused her accident.

7. Paul Edstock says:

It is unfortunate that you will probably never know if the rescuer received an apology. This is due to the incompetent and lazy writing and editorial staff of this, and many other news outlets. When I was a newspaper reporter and staff writer, we got the story, wrote it up, included pics if available and warranted, and submitted followups when necessary for this very reason…the public wants to know, and we owe it to them to get the COMPLETE story out. You don’t see that much anymore.

8. Pete says:

I’m on the highway a lot and have stopped at many accidents and pulled people out of cars while most people have just stood and watched. I don’t think it is indifference, I just think people don’t know how to react or what to do. I do find that truckers usually also jump right in to help being that they are also on the road much of their lives. Good for the lady who did the right thing but I doubt it will do much to change the flipper off-er.

1. james pog says:

Yeah, and if you cause them to be paralyzed, because you pulled them out of that car, with out supporting their neck just right, your life is now over. Blame the sue happy country,for the lack of good Samaritans. You know how many people have gotten sued for doing the Heimlich maneuver or CPR????

2. Mary in Texas says:

Agree…I was at a Starbucks and this guy started going into cardiac arrest and we all just stood there in shock as his wife was calling for help. I had taken CPR 20 years prior and was hoping someone would step up as I didn’t remember the count. I did end up stepping in and did chest compressions until the EMT’s got there, but was hoping someone would come along that knew what they were doing since I was so unsure. Noone did.

Guy ended up living…after flat-lining in the ambulance. He had OD’d on Oxycontin. 6 months later, he and his wife came up to me at the same Starbucks and thanked me for saving his live. Apparently whatever I did was enough to give him oxygen until the pro’s got there.

I am not patting myself on the back because I just did what i hope anyone would do…it was automatic. The whole thing was rather upsetting and emotional. What struck me was so many people just froze…no doubt hoping someone would step up. I don’t think they were un-caring…they just didn’t know what to do.

I’ve since had training for CPR and had some advanced first aid (for motorcycle crashes specifically as I ride). Hopefully, I won’t be paralyzed in the event I come upon an accident. If more folks would have training, I feel more people would get involved.
        I do disagree with you on one thing…I would be willing to bet the flipper off-er IS changed after that. Near death has a way of making people re-think their actions and priorities.

9. david7134 says:

Always remember, no good turn goes unpunished.

10. Kallen Kelford - Sanders says:

“Love is friendship set on fire.”
      – Jeremy Taylor

———– http://911essentials.com

11. Dave-O says:

My thoughts, exactly. I wouldn’t risk it. Call 911 and don’t touch anything or even stay there. She’ll say that she was run off the road!

12. Laurie says:

EXACTLY my thoughts.

13. Angel says:

The mother and child suffered from the mother’s poor choices. Whether they are grateful or ungrateful about the rescuer’s actions matters less than the rescuer’s peace of mind going forward.

If your are a Christian, you are called by God to do what the rescuer did for others. Her actions were the embodiment of ‘Love thy Enemy’. She KNOWS she made the right choice on that fateful day.

It is possible that the mother and child will learn something profound from this incident. If you are Christian, pray for their recovery and enlightenment – and for enlightenment of those on this board who hate. Amen.

14. TASWINNEY says:

Dan,

Just the opposite. That is the reason for the GSL. To protect Joe Schmoo who stops and tries to do anything right. You can be tried if you go BEYOND your medical training. CPR is not medical training. It is for the public. ACLS is medical and uses CPR as part of the process.

Without the law, you could be found guilty for things. It was enacted so the MEDICAL personnel would stop without fear of prosecution.

Now in the good old USA, anyone can sue for anything, but to my knowledge, only one lawsuit ever made it past the DA or Grand Jury and it as stopped by the judge.

SO STOP11

1. Dan says:

I know what the reason for the GSL is. CPR is most definitely a form of medical training, otherwise, what is the point of taking a test and getting certified when I can just read how to do it online? I received my CPR training in NC and they stress that it is important to be certified so you can provide CPR to strangers in emergency situations to minimize liability. Few states protect those that are not certified. Take a look at a subsection from PA’s GSL as proof: (2) In order for any person to receive the benefit of the exemption from civil liability provided for in subsection (a), he shall be, at the time of rendering the emergency care, first aid or rescue or moving the person receiving emergency care, first aid or rescue to a hospital or other place of medical care, the holder of a current certificate evidencing the successful completion of a course in first aid, advanced life saving or basic life support sponsored by the American National Red Cross or the American Heart Association or an equivalent course of instruction approved by the Department of Health.

15. freecheese says:

Depends on her race.

16. Rich says:

You’re and Ass.

17. Beau says:

I doubt it. I know what you’re saying… but the fact that her daughter almost died… 99% of people can be brought to humility if a near-death experience occurs. A crash and fire is one hell of a scary thing, compounded by the fact that her daughter is in severe condition… I think she’ll have a change of attitude.

2. ex-Bronxite says:

Nice jjob….and there’s still hope for American society.

3. Joe says:

This woman set a great example of decent citizenship: rude gesturing, name calling ans such is a minor infraction compared to negligence toward those in need. It is good news to my ears that the victim’s rudeness did not give her a moment’s pause to come to her aid. Kudos to her!

1. Joe says:

I’m with you, Joe!

2. IV Cleaning says:

nay good christian works…

4. Sharon says:

This woman’s response to her fellow human beings was a wonderful example of “loving your neighbor as yourself”. I am glad there are still some citizens left who can do the right thing, even to people who mistreat them. That is truly “turning the other cheek”, in the most positive sense. Stories like this restore my faith in humanity.

1. Dave-O says:

The last ‘road- rage’ incident I had on the road was last summer. A punk got mad when I pulled off to let him pass, so he stops in the road about 300 feet ahead and comes at me in reverse with his F-150 P/U. The deputy who reponded to my 911 call said it was an act of aggression on my part to pull off the road, No Kidding. Then he said I need to stay at home if I don’t want to get hit, seriously. It turns out they knew each other and neither one knew me. I won’t be stopping for either of them.

5. Molly says:

You cannot sue someone who rescues you for negligence. Google “Good Samaritan statutes”.

1. JP says:

In a majority of states, there is no duty to rescue unless there is a special relationship (parent/child, spouse, doctor, emergency worker) OR unless you created the hazard that put them in peril. Also, be aware that if you perform the rescue recklessly, they can sue you for negligence; and if you start to rescue, then you have a duty to continue the rescue.

1. Tim Frohlick says:

JP, If you are unable to rescue the victim then there is no duty to continue the rescue.

Judge TJ

2. Al says:

The suggestion was that she would be sued not for the rescue but for somehow being a causal element of the accident. It would be ugly and likely not sway a jury but in our litigious society anything is possible.

NOTE – anyone can sue anyone for anything – they may not prevail because of good samaritan statutes but they can still sue. You could sue the Pope for paternity – just pay the legal bills and attorney fees. Of course you would not win but your could still sue.

3. Nonya says:

Yes, you can get sued. You’ll likely win, but you’ll still have the legal fees and stress to contend with.

1. reject says:

But hopefully, either your auto or homeowner’s insurance company would defend you on the grounds that if, for example, your rescue of an endangered person resulted in the person suffering something like a dislocated shoulder, this was the unintended consequence of an intentional action. You would not be liable for legal fees, but stress would be a consequence. Hopefully, such a stupid lawsuit would make the local TV news and the person who sued you would look like the horse’s backside that they would be.

4. Ed S says:

Yes, you can.

I. Sue. U., Esq

6. The Morrigan's Pet says:

Bless you, Kristyn Dominy. I sincerely hope your act of kindness and lack of anonymity don’t result in a lawsuit against you.

7. meeester says:

btw; depending on the area of the country the common pronounciation is ‘bakketball’ or ‘bakkaball’ but rarely bas-ket-ball.

1. Humpy J. Brown says:

I’ve heard it pronounced “basset-ball”, too.

8. Zee Chen says:

The way behave today is disgraceful. That lady who crashed was rude and a jerk with her daughter in the car, and she was the one driving crazy.
    Thank goodness for the good people in the world. like this lady who helped her anyway.

1. steve says:

I have seen people like the rude driver before, and she will probably blame the rescuer for her crash – ” she was making me late ”

It makes me happy to read of the rescuer woman brushing off the rude behavior, recognizing the irony, and helping save the rude driver and her daughter – as I would as well.

I flipped the bird to someone about 20 years ago while driving – when I look back on it, he did nothing I haven’t done myself, and I was late because of me, not him. Karma is kinder to those that learn from these foolish situations.

9. Mary says:

Kristyn…What a beautiful gift you gave your daughter…she saw her mother behaving like an angel. Does it get any better than that?

1. Defeat Liberals says:

Amen!

10. Jason says:

Shame on you, Kristyn Dominy. Lack of consequences for negative behavior is why this country has been in an unrecoverable nosedive for the past 40 years.

The crash was a best case scenario. Now that this waste of space has been saved, she will next time run the risk of destroying the lives of others instead of suffering punishment alone.

1. The Morrigan's Pet says:

And what about the jerk’s innocent daughter?

1. Dave-O says:

Collateral Damage.
        My dad was a rude driver like her. One time he nearly punched me in the face whie shaking his fist at someone who hadn’t done a thing to him, but drive the speed limit. More than one time, I thought I was going to die. My Guardian Angel was working hard.

2. Ned Stark says:

Your callous disregard for the sanctity of human life places you square in the camp of the vile and sub-human. That woman may have waved a middle finger, but your words are a thousand times more reprehensible.

3. Andrew P. says:

Wow, you would watch a woman and her innocent daughter burn to death over a middle finger?

Shame on you, Jason. Her “consequence” is a burnt out Jeep and hospital bills, if you will. Do you really believe death is a just punishment for a hand gesture? (Are you Saudi, Iraqi, or Pakistani?)

1. reject says:

Jason is emblematic of what’s morally and sweepingly wrong with this country today. There are way too many cads, creeps, lowlifes, reptiles, etc. like him around. I do remember 40 years ago, and anyone who did what Ms. Dominy did would have been proclaimed as the bona-fide heroine that she is. Jason does not deserve to breathe the same air as people like Ms. Dominy

2. Dave-O says:

There’s no legal responsibility to risk your life for someone else.

3. Joe Ror says:

DAVE-O how about moral resposanbility?

4. Dan says:

Dave-O: That depends how the accident happened. If you have a special relationship to someone, if your job is to render aid like a life guard, if you created the peril the person was in, or if you help a little and then stop helping before that person is safe, you can be criminally and civilly liable for their injury or death.

5. bob says:

There’s no moral responsibility to risk your life to save an idiot’s life.

4. Teddy says:

Hey Jason…have you even been alive for 40 years? And prove that this country has been in an “unrecoverable nosedive” for the past 40 years. Prove it!

And the daughter in the burning car…would karma be served by her dying in a fire because her mother flipped somebody off?

Jason, you are so far over the line with this karma stuff, you can’t even see the line anymore!

5. Count Yob says:

The rude erratic driver did suffer consequences for her negative behavior: her car crashed and her daughter was seriously injured. Kristyn Dominy did the right thing stopping to help save them from far worse consequences.

6. cutter says:

Actually, it’s attitude like Jason’s here that have put this country into its “unrecoverable nosedive.” It is people liike Ms. Dominy who can save it.

7. beedogs says:

Spoken like a true conservative. Jason.

11. Smithjr28 says:

This story reminds me of a song Hank Williams under the name Luke the Drifter wrote.
    “Be carful of the stones you throw “.Some one should buy that song on ITUNES or Amazon and send to the driver with the road rage problem. as she would relate to Hanks wisdom.

12. mitch says:

And then she flipped her off again.

13. Alana says:

Kristyn’s brave, compassionate act saved two people from a terrible death. Should the woman in the burning car choose to sue her, she’d be tempting karma, or fate, or as I prefer to put it, divine justice, and her life at that point would be in far greater jeopardy. The Lord may be invisible to our eyes, but He rules the living and the dead.

14. Deanio says:

When the daughter (if she survives) grows up and reads this article, I hope she realizes what a piece of sh!t her mother was.

15. GRANMA says:

We never know why she was driving mad..perhaps she was just told some awful news, and was not thinking,or under stress over being late to work..or maybe she just had an awful argument with her husband..perhaps her baby sitter didnt show…when some one is tail gateting me for driveng the limet..I pray..kristie did what was right..I would have donr the same..and I believe most of us would..dont jump to conclutions about the speeding driver. she couls also be by-polar..we are always on road danger so pray before you start your car…ask for GODS protection.

1. Vicky Bevis says:

Good insight, GRANMA!

16. barry1817 says:

anhyone want to take a bet on the good samaritan being grounded in relgion and possibly a conservatice and the person pulled from the buring vehcile a liberal?

Now maybe if the person had a volt, they would have stalled out on the road, battery life gone, and would not have had an accident.

Oops forgot, the volt is selling so well, that production was halted, with a reported 723 vehciles actually sold to private individuals

1. MaLadd says:

What has being a liberal got to do with doing the right thing? Tone it done with your personal peeves, will ya? The world is sad and scary enough without someone blowing bitter smoke over a good deed. …still, I hope your day gets better, that you get to laugh with good friends and feel loved…

17. Laura says:

While I don’t think anyone human would let someone burn to death in a car just because they got flipped off, there is something wickedly ironic about all this. Clearly though, the crazy lady was driving erratically before the crash and likely caused it, with her daughter in the car. Maybe SHE should be investigated.

18. ChuckE says:

What would have been due justice is to save her daughters life then proceed to whip her ass for being such an idiot.

1. Tim Frohlick says:

ChuckE,

You punch first and then she shoots you in the face.

Sayonara

19. Carlos says:

Wait! I thought Americans were rude, selfish, horrible human beings!!! Would an Iraqi do the same? A Russian?
    I don’t know, but the few people I’ve met from other countries leave me with serious doubts as to wether they’d help or not.
    So long as we continue to be an example for the rest of the world I, for one, will continue to be proud to be American!

1. Carlos says:

I forgot to mention most of us are fat and lazy…yeah, I don’t believe that one either!

2. MaLadd says:

Wouldn’t it serve a greater justice if we could believe that all people were capable of being kind? Look around — heroism, kindness, charity and love is as perennial as the grass…please don’t narrow their window of possibilities, but believe in the miracle that all the world’s children can hold these traits in their hearts. I have seen it…and it is true.

20. Gloating Rich Guy says:

I think this woman would have burned alive if it had been me.

1. Vicky Bevis says:

Spend an HOUR in a burn ward & tell me the same thing.

21. Steve Hollar says:

Good for Krystin. I too would have been tempted to just drive by, but, couldn’t live with myself. This sure points out a huge problem though. We have way too many idiot drivers on our roads. Here in California it’s epidemic. The only way it will ever stop is to make traffic violations so punitive, no one but a drooling moron would dare violate them. That will never happen though. We’ll yawn as 40,000 of us are slaughtered each year and nothing will be done.

22. Davey says:

Sorry to be so formal, but MOST of you haven’t a tiny clue about what karma isl Very simple: kick a dog, dog biites you a year later, NOT “karma”. Karma carries over in your spirit from one incarnation to another. Don’t believe in reincarnation of the soul, you can’t believe in karma. Get it? This is NOT in this life “payback”. Stop being so ignorant.

1. Tim Frohlick says:

Davey, If I call you a genius then I will be rewarded in the next life. Well said Sir.

Mahatma

2. shawn says:

hmmm you learn something every day, that i didn’t know, i guess now i can stop being helpful to people because i dont believe in reincarnation thus karma doesn’t apply.

3. Yaspar says:

Thank you! The word “karma” is constantly used, and never used correctly. Along with “mantra,” “guru,” and “nirvana.”

4. Creed says:

The karma mentioned in the story is the least interesting part of the story, I don’t give a flying rip what karma means.

23. student1776 says:

If it turned out that the woman flipping the bird was a secular liberal Obama supporter and the one who rescued her was a conservative Christian – that would make this about a good metaphor for modern America. It will be interesting when the data comes out.

24. PJF says:

reading the comments here and reading people criticizing the woman driving poorly, not one person here makes those comments ever considering that they drive just as poorly, just as erractically, and are just as rude as the lady in the jeep. 22 years as a police officer has taught me that 99% of people in this country drive poorly and a rude when they drive

1. shawn says:

go to texas its 100% LOL

2. cops are on a power trip says:

But the rudest and most obnoxious are police officers. Well let me correct that – (1) tow truck drivers (2) taxi drivers (3) public transportation bus drivers (4) police officers. That that puts you squarly in the alleged 99%, PJF.

3. Dave-O says:

Two weeks ago, I had a Sheriff’s Deputy pass me on a double yellow line, speeding and without his lights on. So, I’d agree with PJF.

25. Syd says:

Because we all know flipping while driving is only fun and games.

26. Bob says:

My thoughts are with the daughter… hope she recovers.

27. Truth says:

Kinda makes you wonder what an atheist would have done..

1. Steve Hollar says:

That is just plain stupid. I’m a non-believer and would have done the right thing by rescuing the lady in spite of what she did. It annoys me to no end that some people think you have to believe in a god to have morals. By the way, I’m also a Conservative.

1. Hmm says:

Good for your intention, to want to help someone else.

2. Michael says:

Perhaps you are thinking an atheist would ask what would God do? And do the exact same thing. (hint: nothing) Or maybe being a rational human being the atheist would reason that even though the lady was a rude wench nobody deserves to burn to death especially the daughter.

1. Hmm says:

God works in mysterious ways – maybe even through someone who rejects Him.

3. Auth says:

>Hi Ray,Many thanks for knmiag your report available. I would be interested to know what the proportions of beginner, intermediate and advanced members are in low priced clubs? I know that some promote themselves as health clubs for ‘average’ or ‘normal’ people and intentionally have dumbbells only to a certain weight to discourage bodybuilder and more advanced types.It would also be interesting to know what the uptake of PT services is considering that PT is more of a premium service and I would assume that most low price members are, ostensibly, joining for the low prices.Keep up the good work

28. Concerned Mom of 5 says:

What flames? Did you see flames? Nope!

29. Hmm says:

What an example of applying God’s love to another.

30. theo says:

A few years ago someone passed me in a huff during a snow storm, when I was driving slowly due to the bad conditions. A mile later I found them sitting in a field, their car having slid off the road. I stopped to make sure they were okay, which they were – but they just waved me off, all huffy and embarrassed. Some people. That woman is lucky to be alive – and let’s hope her daughter survives, and is not scarred for life.

31. Hmm says:

What an example of appying God’s love to another.

32. Michael Gene says:

Law suit coming, the victim was obviously distracted after being forced to “flip off” the other driver thereby causing a state of fugue under which the victim lost the ability to make rational defensive driving measures. The insult of being resued by her antagonist will cause a large increase in punitive damages for her loss of self esteem.

33. John Spiers says:

Kristyn Dominy. Has anyone considered that name? Just a coincidence? Look at it. Christ the Lord.

34. Ed S says:

I’ll bet “flipper” sues her rescuer for injuries sustained in the rescue.

35. Ed G says:

Good for the Samaritan, and I hope the other mother and daughter heal and learn from this.

As to possible reactions from other countries, here’s a story from China from October 2011.

Horrifying footage of a 2-year-old girl in China being run over by two separate vehicles and left to die by passersby has stirred outrage throughout the country, with CNN reporting that security footage of the incident has led the nation of 1.3 billion people to do some collective soul-searching.

Others blamed China’s compensation culture for the apparent show of callousness, recalling a famous 2006 judgment when a Good Samaritan who helped a woman get to hospital was wrongly ordered to pay her compensation.

36. Gloria B. says:

My guess is that Dominy would have driven right by if the other driver had been a man driving alone. It would have served him right. Men are such jerks. The more of them we get rid of the better off we’ll be.

1. Vicky Bevis says:

Nasy divorce, ‘eh?

37. Lipstick says:

Thank you Kristyn. You are the Guardian Angel. You saved 2 lives. I bet the woman in the hospital will thank you forever. Glad you are all ok and safe.

38. stoptouchingthatmabel says:

It would be Karma if she lost that finger due to the accident.

39. Ed G says:

Why aren’t all the comments in chronological order?

40. shawn says:

i wouldn’t have stopped, have before, saved a girls life after she rolled her truck on I35 in ok. but this kunt, well i would have drove right on by… laughing all the way home.

41. Jason says:

May we please know the races of these two woman. Oh, we think we have already figured that out.

42. Joe Ror says:

Praise that young lady for doing the right thing. If you have to stop & think of the consequences then when confronted with a situation such as this one then you lack the compassion it takes to be a human being .

43. Liberty Bell says:

A point illustrated so well in this story is the glaring fact that no agency can tell you when a set belt will hold you in place to save your life or hold you there to kill you. Since no one keeps stats on how many people die annually as the result of wearing seat belts,(it happens more than you know) I ask you, should we really have laws mandating them or shouldn’t we rather arm a free society with knowledge????

1. Vicky Bevis says:

Pa. USED to have a commercial (of a State Trooper) when mandatory seat belt wearing was 1st. instituted, that said:

“I never unbuckled a dead person.”
      Got rid of THAT one PDQ.

44. Moaab says:

The Good Samaritan will not be sued. There is a Good Samaritan law on the books that allows individuals to try to save/help a person in such a situation. Under the law, the person helping may not be sued.

45. Moaab says:

Nonya, such a suit would be thrown out due the the Good Samaritan law.

46. lee says:

its always nice to be thanked for a good deed…..a good samaritan doesn’t go on a rant about how good she is, however, because then is just becomes another self serving action to get attention or praise and that definately is NOT being “good”…………

47. lee says:

why does this lady state “whenever” the other driver passed her?….was there more than one passing?….were these two racing?…were these two being aggressive and one ended up in the ditch?….

me thinks more to the story….

1. Darlene says:

Thats it libturd – blame the woman who saved the lives of the perps. Typical libturd thought process.

48. Dev says:

I’d have saved the reckless driver just to ensure that she’s punished to the full extent of the law for endangering her freaking child. As a matter of fact, I hope child services takes that poor kid away after she recovers, and hopefully she won’t grow up to be the terrible self-absorbed person her mother obviously is.

49. Humpy J. Brown says:

Should have let the evil b*tch and her demon seed offspring burn. Would have done us ALL a favor. She won’t get any better after this experience, wait and see. And the kid will grow up in the image of her loser mother.

50. TR says:

Why is this a shocker? Every human should try to save another regardless of being given the finger or other rude behavior. C’mon people! You mean to tell me Americans have become so cold that they’d let someone die because they got their feelings hurt?

Good grief what has happened to America?

1. Joe says:

If I got “flipped-off” I’d still do the best I could for anyone smashed into a tree, Liberal or Red-Neck!

But then… I’m a Red-Neck.

51. sailordude says:

Slow news day Tampa? BTW the woman is thinking about karma, so naturally she is going to stop! She doesn’t want bad karma either!

52. Where is msnbc on this story says:

I bet you Kristyn Dominy is part of the religious right freaks, you know like Santorum. I’m sure we will never hear this on msnbc.

53. GF says:

Would you save someone with an Obama bumper sticker?

54. Darlene says:

Help the daughter out of the car first, then kick the biatch in the tits.

55. linda says:

i hope the woman who flipped her off at least has the decency to thank her rescuer. if not kiss her butt………

56. Mike Merryman says:

I never dug Flipper.

57. Mike Merryman says:

Now if a man had rescued her, he just could have peed on her, put the fire out and walked away!

58. BPMC says:

What’s really sad is that thoughts of litigious accountability go through one’s mind at times like this just as quickly as do thoughts of rescuing people from harm.

Five years ago, I was taking my daily jog during my lunch break when a stolen pickup ran a four-way stop & T-boned an SUV right in front of me. Two occupants of the pickup died (one at the scene) & another bystander and I pulled the driver of the SUV (now partially ablaze) from her vehicle. As soon as emergency personnel arrived, I quietly slipped away & headed back to my office un-noticed (there were dozens of people on scene by that time).

The moral of this story is that (in a society like ours where damn-near anything can be subject to legal action) one cannot necessarily assume that a “good deed” will be met with gratitude from the recipient of said deed. If the driver of the SUV had suffered a neck injury during the impact, our efforts to extract her from the vehicle almost certainly aggravated it. Sure, she was ALIVE, but who knows whether she was the type of opportunist who’s looking for a lucrative payday at someone else’s expense (after all, no one could go after the guys who hit her… they were dead). I didn’t care to take the chance, so I disappeared. Assuming that the “finger flipping” of the driver in this story is any indication of her personal constitution, I must admit that I’d give careful consideration to all the possibilities before stopping to help her.

1. Dave-O says:

Some states now shield Good Samaritans. I don’t know about Fla.

59. Dianne D says:

I’d say to Dominy, be careful. No good deed goes unpunished. In this world, at least.

60. Kolgoroth says:

Should have left the disrespectful pile of garbage to burn.

61. Ray says:

“No greater love… ” (John, 13:15)

1. Ray says:

Excuse me, that was: John, 15:13

62. Obama says:

Should have let the bi….ch… burn

63. Bor says:

What will happen is that the woman in the accident will sue the woman who rescued her. She will claim that the rescuer was driving in a manner that caused her to crash after she passed. And she will win somehow.

64. J. Anderson says:

There is a possibility that the 22 years old, Kristyn mistook the gestures to be directed at her, but the other woman may have been waving her hands and yelling at her daughter in the Jeep. Some people can’t just talk or yell with their mouth, they also need to use their hand gestures to emphasize their anger or whatever. I think the woman was speeding past and gesturing, yelling at her daughter and lost control of the car from being distracted. She may have been late for an appointment and got stupid. It happens. She’s very lucky that Kristyn stopped to help her and the kid. That shows compassion and follows the rules of “love they neighbor as thyself” or “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”. Everyone should follow these rules and live by them. The world would be a much better place.

65. John says:

This article is telling me be kind to the drivers on the highways because that person might be your guardian angel.

66. baumstuff says:

I think knowing that her daughter is suffering and may have permanent injuries because of her recklessness should be enough of a negative consequence for the driver. Have to live with the consequences of your mistakes is the best life teacher.

67. John Campbell says:

It appears that most everyone is missing an important part of this story. Read this part again;
    “The girl was reportedly trapped and tangled in her own seatbelt. Dominy helped get the girl out of the burning car before calling 911.”
    I’ve had the horrifying event to see a man burned to death, trapped by his seat belt. That same seat belt that a socialist mindset dictatorship permeating our government made into a mandate against the rights of the people. These two you now know about. How many more died thanks to seat belts? Is it not the right of the individual to choose for themselves? Tell your Congressman and State legislator enough is enough. It’s time to repeal.

68. SeattleMark952 says:

The hero-lady has a great reward. She have proven to herself that she has integrity and is capable of risking her own life to rescue someone else (even a potential enemy). The vulgar lady (and her daughter) apparently demonstrated their decayed character, and let’s hope they show some class and straighten up.

69. JO says:

I thought it was a JEEP THING You wouldn’t Understand!

1. Joe says:

Be careful with that ax, Eugene…You wouldn’t Understand!

70. dab says:

Florida law REQUIRES you to stop and render aid if you witness or come,upon an accident and help has not arrived…so she did the right thing both morally and legally…and I would venture a guess and say the accident victim, judging by her quickness to flip off the other driver, most likely votes the democratic party…just sayin…

71. caughtmyeyedesigns says:

What a nice mom to be flipping folks off with her daughter watching her in the vehicle, then you wonder why children act the way they do.

72. br says:

what i dont seee nutin ……

73. Paul Kronfield says:

It’s obvious to me the Flipper was an Obama voter, and the Flippee was a conservative. The mentality and the reaction completely spells out the difference. When Obama produced his forged birth certificate he flipped off the country.

74. David S. says:

why does everybody say liberal when it comes to lawsuits?do you really think the lawyers that file these suits are liberal? people of all types file frivolous lawsuits not just liberals. and if the lady had just drove by without rendering aid she would have committed a crime but more importantly would have to live with the fact that a child died when she could have helped.treat others as you would like to be treated.

1. GovtMotors says:

Because liberals protect the legal lobby…conservatives sue, but their platform is personal responsibility, let the buyer beware, free markets, etc.

Doesn’t take a polysci major…

75. jessix says:

What a “BABE”! I think you cured the lady’s finger wagging forever.

76. Roland R Jones says:

“Love your enemies” says the Lord who himself gave the greatest deomstration of practicing what he preached when he died on a cross for his enemies. WOW! After being flipped-off, it was tempting for Kristyn Dominy to keep on going and even doing it with a peevish smile…but she didn’t. Giving the situation of insults and anger a second thought, she did something that was utterly unhuman…she overcame “herself” and glorified God by helping save an offending person. I believe the Lord is smiling upon Kristyn and so am I.

77. GovtMotors says:

Fake story…cars don’t start on fire.

78. Julie the Jarhead says:

“She did flip me off whenever she passed me,”

How many times did these cars pass each other? Were they playing ‘cat and mouse’ on the highway?

Perhaps the ‘samaritan” does have some responsibility for the crash.

79. JWD says:

Hmmmmm. ..I believe all the “Good Books” say you have to love one another but I don’t believe I ever read that we have to ‘like’ each other. This is a classic example. She didn’t like what the Jeep driver did but she sure demonstrated the love that we’re all supposed to have for one another. Nicely done!

80. davecatbone says:

She should have waited for the Government to save her. It’s in charge of our lives now isn’t it? It knows what’s best for us, and what’s fair, isn’t it? Of course, we would have had to wait to find out if the crash victim was a conservative, THEN we could have let her burn.

81. PHILLY JIM says:

my personal policy is that before i rescue people from burning cars i ask them a series of questions to make sure they agree with my politicial, religious and social beliefs and traditions. i mean, if they dont, whats the point?
    of course, if i decide to proceed, i make them sign a waiver that they won’t sue me for saving their life but leaving them less than 100%. i dont want them bitter at me like Lt. Dan.

82. Brian says:

I’m sure we’d all chuckle if, a mile down the road from being flipped off, we came across this woman getting a ticket.

But being trapped in a burning car is a different thing altogether, and I think most of us would try to help.

I do notice in many of the replies that there’s a lot of ignorance about so-called “Good Samaritan” laws and the underlying legal principles that govern them. It’s one of those things that all citizens probably should be more informed about.

83. Keith says:

I pulled people out of a burning car once and then was warned by the paramedics when they showed that I could be sued if I had made their injuries worse ( broken legs ), I guess it would have been better to let them burn to death ?

84. Fibrostatic says:

Quote:
    UnQuote

The woman will probably convince herself, with the help of a lawyer, that it was the rescuer’s fault, and sue her for a billion dollars

1. Vicky Bevis says:

Can’t sue! Good Samaritian Laws. Only medical personnel are held to a “higher” standard ( nurse here)

1. Dan says:

In this situation they can’t because no first aid was rendered and the rescuer acted reasonably, however, if she had to perform CPR, she would only be covered if she was certified. GSLs only protect people acting within the scope of their training when it comes to first aid. In addition, if the rescuer had left before further help arrived, she could also be sued for that. GSLs aren’t a blanket from all liability when laypersons try to perform a rescue.

85. Mike O'Brien says:

Driving recklessly and like and idiot with a child in her Jeep hope she faces child endangerment charges. What if she had run into another car instead of a tree and killed an innocent mother and her child? Glad they’re OK but ticks me off she was behaving like such a fool on the road. Had some jckss cut me off on purpose just yesterday had to slam on my brakes and all the stuff I was hauling in my van flew all over the place. People that drive like this should receive some sort of punishment.

86. TheQuestion says:

I hate to say this but we are rapidly becoming “sheeple” who will just gawk and do nothing for each other in an emergency – for whatever reasons. The evidence of this phenomenon is overwhelming. Kristyn Dominy is the exception. Now ask yourselves, what is driving this lack of empathy for our fellow human being?

87. Vicky Bevis says:

WOW! I hope someon puts her up for a Carnegie Award. I’m sure she could use the $. What a woman!

88. Erik Olson says:

SOMEONE NEEDS TO CALL GLORIA ALLRED – So the litigation can begin

89. Bag of Hammers says:

If it’s not trail rated and flaming, it’s not a Jeep 4×4.

90. dariel says:

Women drivers are incompetent and rude. they should not be allowed to drive.

91. dariel says:

Where’s my post? Do I need to call the NAACP?

92. Rusty Shackleford says:

Death by Car-B-Que would be my choice; I’m not stopping for any idiot who thinks they own the road. Time to take responsibility for your actions.

93. Lee says:

Great story and a moral to us all. The rescuer will have a clear conscience, something worth all the risk even if the other driver may have deserved less. Thank goodness the child was saved, she deserves a better mother than she has.

94. Jon Martin says:

Watch, the saved woman will sue her and claim she was run off the road.

That’s the problem with being a good samaritan, you immediately put yourself at the “alleged” crime scene and become the “one and only suspect”

95. rtnorm says:

I wonder if her finger was burned??? It’s a shame children are innocent victims of this kind of parental behavior.

96. alice says:

This is why we’ll never clean-up the gene pool. Karma may have been to send this moron to hell in a ball of fire the kid before it had a chance to breed. Power to Obama, power to the pill, and birth control. If this bad drivers mother aborted as she should have we would not be talking about this.

97. GMAN51 says:

I would try to save her too – as long as the car did not have an OBAMA bumper sticker on it.

98. GD says:

My guess is that the crashed driver did not learn anything from this. The terminally stupid don’t learn.

99. John McNeighburg says:

they both deserved to die, have to thin the herd some how…

100. BrunoT says:

Tsk tsk, another emotional driver cracks it up.

When will they start taking “DWF” seriously? : )

101. steve5150 says:

The great majority of people given the opportunity to help someone in distress will do so without thinking about it that much. Some people will hesitate if the situation is dangerous and a very small minority will not help because they don,t care about anyone else. This last group of people are also known as pychopaths.

102. Vanilla Pop Tart says:

Bless her heart, she’s a better Christian than I am. I wouldn’t have pi**ed on the the b***ch even if I had a keg’s worth of beer in me.

103. Snod says:

How brave and correct many are here and all the time slapping those who might think differently. I will tell you from personal experience if you intentionally put me or my family at risk acting foolishly and I will let you burn! Also I might add I will watch that happen and enjoy. The problem with our society is too many are let off the hook when they steal, cheat or act out. Time to pull that cord tight and get a pair people. Too many fake Christians in the world already, all puffed up and no place to go.

104. Ian says:

Kristyn, you did the right thing in God’s eyes. I lift my hat off to you! It is nice to know that there are some conscience driven, good souls still around on this planet.

105. Kay says:

I can’t believe everyone is just accepting this without question. I’ve seen no source for this except Dominy herself. No quotes from the highway patrol, or the hospital where this nameless woman & child were supposedly taken. Who called the media in the first place? Kristyn Dominy is listed as an actress & model on several online employment websites. Personally, until I see confirmation from public authorities, I’m considering this a bid for publicity by the ‘sainted’ Dominy herself.